View Single Post
      07-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
I think any car you like is a good idea. A car will always be expensive to maintain if you don't know what to look for and knowing what to look for comes with time. As long as you have time and patience I think you can tackle almost any car problem.

About the E85, My Z4 is about 138k miles now and in the last 10-15k I had to slowly replace components of my cooling system. After a while the plastic components of the cooling system starts wearing out and usually turns brown if not they just form cracks. Its up to you to replace them one by one or all at once.

The first one to go out was my reservoir tank, I bought the whole replacement kit but only had time to install the tank at that point in time, but now all the cooling system components on my Z are fresh.

At about 115k I had to replace my driver side window regulator. The motor was still fine but the cable broke. I ordered a replacement and installed the new regulator after work. A 3hr process for me as I took my time not to break any plastic fittings along the way.

Just a month ago my DISA valve went out. I bought a new one and will rebuild the old one for spare. If you're running lean you will eventually run into this problem or check it manually and see if it still works.

Outside of those repairs I spent money on minor maintenance and upgrades. In general, expensive cars expensive problems, cheaper cars cheaper problems. Most of the time German parts will be more than Japanese parts. As a car enthusiast most of the time I do my own repairs so that helps a lot with saving money. I guess curiosity of learning how things work saves money. Having shop experience also helps.

Ever since I was a little boy internal combustion engines intrigued me, so I guess that's when I started to show interest in cars and motorcycles. I should have been a Mechanical Engineer instead of being an Accountant lol but that's for another time.

ZeeF0ur, most cars are reliable as long as you stay on top of the maintenance. A repair manual and this forum will be your best tool for help good luck.

Last edited by T-Bears; 07-30-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0