View Single Post
      02-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
hmm the top sider oil extractor is an interesting idea; i did not know one could do that.

when i changed my oil it was pretty dark, i ran some spare oil from my friends 330 through my engine till the stream coming out of the bottom was gold again (then waited for it all to flush through and stop dripping), then filled it up w the castrol oil i got. I feel that if i used an extractor, all the contaminants/old oil would stay in the engine and it wouldnt be a complete flush..? maybe i should just change the oil more often haha

interestingly enough, the oil level never changed, but it did get very dirty (i waited 10k before this last one).
The "color" of the oil is irrelevant, within 500 miles of driving your "pristine" oil will look rather dark simply because of the by-products of combustion. There's no way to do any sort of real "visual" analysis of quality of oil, to really determine if your oil is clean or dirty, the ONLY way to do it is through a used oil analysis lab where the used oil can be broken down and studied for the contaminants within the oil.

And I've probably posted this at least 100 times, we've conducted relatively scientific study of draining the oil via the dipstick vs. the drain plug. The difference is a mere 120 ml out of 6.5 liters on a standard inline 6. The amount of oil left in the pan when draining via the topside is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

And before you argue, well, the stuff left on the bottom of the pan...Again, if you drain your oil when it's warm, any and all particulate that is not trapped within the filter should be suspended within the warm oil and therefore sucked out along with the used oil. There's really no practical difference between draining from the plug vs. draining from the tube.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0