06-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #21
dptmachine
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Motion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptmachine View Post
To start, when I turned 40, my wife bought me a 3 day driving package from Pacific Raceways (Kent WA) that I took my 2012 Cadillac CTS-V. After that experience I was hooked. The cadillac was fun to drive, but it was a challenge as a beginner. I was getting destroyed by these BMW's on the track. Albeit, I was green as grass. I couldn't justify beating up this family car, so I purchased a HPDE dedicated car. I started down the rabbit hole with a 2004 BMW M3 OG that went thru a 2 year transformation into a track car. That eventually led to Lucky Dog Racing Amateur series. Calamity struck, and the car was lost near the end of the first season. This car was fast and I really enjoyed the S54 capability.

After a couple months of mourning, I found a 2007 SCCA Z4 that caught my eye. It had 34K miles if I remember right, cage, and extra tires, bearings, etc. I made a play for the car, but alas the deal fell thru because no title could be sourced. It had been sold with the SCCA log book as record of ownership. I needed to produce a title for loan and interstate transfer.

I actually joined the forum prior to owning a Z4 to learn more about the car. Later, I found www.z4mcoupebuyersguide.com and started to look into other candidates. One day, this car came up with a heavy price tag of 65K if I remember correctly. I passed it over. The details seemed to be a little "sketchy" at first glance. 151 miles, promo car, someone else handling the transaction.

A couple months later, this car had no price listed. I decided to "bite". There was no contact info with exception to web link email. No response at my initial inquiries. I examined the ad and found the user name seemed to a business reference/logo. I investigated a bit and cross referenced the name and location of the car and found it was a company supplying race tires to a number of industries and teams. I called and made contact. They were handling the sale for Bridgestone/Firestone. The gentleman stated the car would need suspension work, as it was made to look good w/o driving considerations. Naturally, I am a bit skeptical, so I ask for the person in charge and was directed to Bridgestone.

I was routed to the marketing department and was put into contact with the Marketing director, (name escapes me). She verifies all details of the sale and states make us an offer and she would present it. The "moment of truth". Having checked into the cost of Flossman Panels, the wheels, KW V3 suspension, Momo seats, pedals, and everything I could see per photos, I was infatuated. Not to mention, the car had 151 miles!!!! Crazy. OK, hear it goes, I offered 30K less than the original price. A couple hours later and my offered was accepted. "Crap" I cant believe it, 35K for this car. "Crap" maybe I should have offered less. The marketing director explained that the car had "timed-out" and it was time to liquidate. If an actual individual owned this car and put there soul into it, the emotional attachment would have demanded more $.

Money changes hands (wire transfer) and I begin to research this Canepa connection. https://canepa.com/. It was listed as the outfit that fitted all the panels an set it up for show to showcase Bridgestones “new” RE-11 tire. I called/emailed and no response. I found some internet references for the 2008 Barrett Jackson Auction as a display car along with a Toyota (cannot remember). Hot import nights web video with the center wheels in grey at the time.

Car arrives via enclosed transport and it is low, 3" off the ground. The KW's on it had different springs on it that were deformed, likely heated. So it got parked for a bit. I drove it to the DMV to get title and VIN inspection. Spooky ride with no spring suspension, even on the highway. Not recommended. I think I lost of tooth filling that day.

I sent the car off to AR Motorsports. Normally I like to do as much work as I can but I was already working on another M3 track car to replace my old one. I am done with mods this year. Next year will see new diff, bushings/mount thru-out, new shifter, new clutch, and track wheels/tires. Covid-19 interuted a few things.

A bit long winded, thanks for the interest. Happy Zedding
I forgot, AR Motorsports got a hold of Bruce Canepa and he remembered the car and pulled up his file and had the paint codes. The car had been completely repainted in Alpine White III with the red accents and black. He was happy the car was getting a "new" life. It has a "phony" air jack port in the back. All show, no go.
2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe Wide Body; midlife crisis car
Appreciate 1