View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Hi, I'll jump in here since I see no replies. A Z4 with anything beyond the basic audio system is challenging. Reason being is that you have to keep the OEM amplifier. The head units in the systems send a line level signal to the OEM amp and then instructs the amp via a digital link to increase or decrease the volume level. Beautiful. Since you don't have navigation I would strongly recommend replacing the head unit and everything beyond. The sound quality and depth you'll get by inserting a new amplifier into the equation is well worth it. On the speaker front, don't overlook putting something in the kick panels. There is tons of room in there to put a deep driver in there that'll give you great mid-bass.
Thanks for the reply. My local shop had an audiotec-fisher amp that was a plug and play replacement for the stock DSP amp so I went with that instead. All stock wiring and speakers untouched, the only issue is that the 10cm door speakers no longer function since the new amp has only 8 channels. I suppose this can be easily solved by hooking up a passive crossover, but will wait till I upgrade the speakers. For now I'm pretty happy with the much improved sound quality.
Appreciate 0