View Single Post
      06-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #552
Shigg614
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
It all comes down to tire selection. I'm telling you from my experience and what I've read through this entire thread. I run Conti Extreme DW 275/30R19 and with the 25 offset gets me about 15mm clearance from the inner fender liner and 10mm clearance from the outer fender were it meets the rear bumper. Some have reported rubbing the outer fender with a 22 offset...so your mileage may varies. I always go on the high side in offset because it is easier to correct if you rub on the inner fender - just add spacers to correct. If you go on the low side, it's difficult to correct if it rubs the outer fender - only options are running narrower stretched tires or add more negative camber, which can only do so much.

I have 35 offset for the front and run 245/35R19 - same Conti Extreme DW and that slightly rubs the outer fender liner (where the bumper and fender meets) on full compression. I know someone who also have a 35 offset that runs the same size tire (245/35R19), but with Michelin PSS and he has a slight rub on the inner rear fender liner on full lock. But most don't have issue with a 35 offset with 245/35R19 tires. A 30 offset will push it out another 5 mm, so it will clear the inner fender strut and liner for sure, but you may risk rubbing on the outer fender, which may be corrected (to a degree) if need by adding more camber and or running a narrower tire. Again, your mileage may varies depending on tire selection.
That clears things up thank you.

Take away points are
- Take tires into consideration
- Higher offset = safer (in general)
- Rubbing on outer fender? Adding camber or choose a narrower tire