View Single Post
      06-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

While the statistics do run in my favor for bailing on my OEM run flats, I did at least pick up a small air compressor, a can of tire goop and a set of tools/plugs to repair a flat if necessary. I also have AAA Plus in addition to the BMW assistance.

But unlike those who scorn changing a tire, for the past 6 years I have been a hard core track junkie and keep a wide variety of tire/wheel sets around for my vehicles and regularly swap my wheels around depending on driving conditions. I have multiple floor jacks, a compressor, jack stands for everything I own and have changed out more brake pads than I can remember at this point. I would have installed a lift long ago if it weren't for the 9 foot ceiling in my garage.

To me the task of changing my wheels at trackside for a day of lapping is a 20 minute task at most with only hand tools and my only limitation at the moment is the fact that my last 2 cars have been too small to hold a set of wheels with track rubber for the lapping event.

The stats may be in my favor for the flat situation, but I really like knowing I have the option to swap the damaged wheel out and keep going.