Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
Take this with a grain of salt if you like:-

My BMW sales manager and I spoke about runflats while I was waiting to collect Sabine. He was saying that statistically the average driver only gets a flat once in ten years. So why the heck carry around a spare and a jack for that?

I can't say that runflats or tyre goop are the best solutions, but I carried a jack and a spare tyre around in my last 2 cars for over 6 years and neither of them ever got used.
Makes sense in a way, on the other hand, statistically we probably get into accidents at that rate or even less but I still want to carry around airbags and seatbelts in my car Ive never liked this whole runflats/tire sealant solution. I know the few times i've gotten flats, i was so grateful I could go outside and just change out the tire in a few mins and continue on my way. Sure the runflats let you skip all that, but you never know, maybee you get some big puncture, or you hit a nasty pothole that shreds the wheel and you need a quick fix on the side of the road. And of course any enthusiast who actually throws the runflats in the garbage are at a disadvantage from the start.

Bring back the full spare!