View Single Post
      09-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #129
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I've encountered this many times even though my career is in it's early stages being 29 years old. My theory is that others are threatened by someone who is a leader, or someone who is better at something than they (the people in leadership roles) are. Instead of surrounding themselves with good people who get things done, they promote less threatening individuals.

I run a project team, and I want the best individuals I can get on my team so we are successful. That is how we can accomplish tasks efficiently.
My belief is that this problem arises from those who hire ineffective managers. When I staffed my retail locations, I looked for candidates that could easily replace me. In the event that I am away from the office for any duration, my employees could easily handle whatever situations may arise. This also made me look like a rock star, not only to our customers - because I had a rock solid team of customer service professionals, but to my supervisors as well. People that hire individuals based on their insecurities have no business being in those positions. The way I see things is that the more of my employees that get promoted, the better I look.

The environment that I'm currently in spends more time chasing our tail while clocking 100 mph up hill, but sliding backwards. This is all attributed to someone (multiple people actually) who are afraid to delegate responsibility as they are afraid of losing their job. Not delegating makes them feel as if they in control and can justify their position.

As I'm typing this, I have our receptionist tracking down orders for me. Not that I can't do it myself, but I have a way of being able to spin it to where she feels needed and that she is helping me; not that I am lazy or too busy posting here to do my job. At the end of the day, the work is getting done and I'm efficient at completing my tasks by getting the work done through others. Frees up my time to better strategically plan my next moves, versus haphazardly rushing decisions and making the wrong moves. Simple tasks, as long as they are handled, should be delegated. When a person spends so much of their day with every small detail, that they can not effectively plan for whats coming puts them in a reactive state rather than a proactive state.

Again, managers should be able to do this; if not, it isn't their fault. It's the fault of the person that hired them for that position.

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-18-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615278.50
Rmtt8211.00
MKSixer34184.50