Thread: clock spring
View Single Post
      09-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I had the airbag light stay on and the code translation was something along the lines of too much or inconsistent resistance. I removed the Airbag, steering wheel and cleaned all the associated connections involving them and the clock spring as far as I dared with CRC spray quick drying electronics cleaner. I say as far as I dare because when I got down to some of the components behind the clock spring (I think relays) some small plastic pieces started to break when trying to remove them. Upon re-assembly when reconnecting the various plugs I put them on and off a few times as to perhaps clean off some of the contacts. Buttoned it all back together. Cleared the code with an PC based INPA setup I had cobbled together and all was good. That was over a year ago. Total time in the car was about an hour I think.

If I had to do it again, I'd purchase a code reader that can clear the airbag code. Getting that INPA setup running was a real PITA. I assembled a write up with some pictures in the DIY section.
Appreciate 0