View Single Post
      11-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
ah icicic. What pad would you suggest if I still want to be able to use them on the street? And if I only do weekend track days, but want performance when I do go to the track?
Or should I literally invest in track-only rotors and pads? They're pretty easy to swap anyhow, since no fluid flush is needed.
You can use whatever pads you desire. For a while I was driving on the street on the DTC-60s on my last car on a daily basis. Not the prettiest sight thought, basically my boss will know when I pull into work every day about 1/2 hour after he did. The only problem is, you absolutely have to keep a very close eye on the pads since once they start rubbing the fasteners, you have to swap them out otherwise you'll ruin the rotors.

Making pad recommendations without knowing your actual driving style and skills is like trying to diagnose a rash sight unseen. I personally go with the most aggressive pads that don't fade given my speed. Back long long time ago before I had a powerful car, I used to get by with mid-range track pads like Carbotech XP Plus, Cool Carbon R/T, Porterfield R4S or Hawk HP Plus equivalent. Most of these, especially the Cool Carbon R/T, was suitable for street AND track (they're some-what civilized for the street...Or at least livable). But as time goes on and my skill and speed increased, some of these pads are inadequate for the heavier braking (and higher powered cars) and I've since moved on to Cobalt XR-3 and Hawk DTC-60s as my exclusive pads.

Don't forget, the OEM rotors on the MZ4 is already the best braking system BMW has made. It's even better than the brakes on the 135i. It's a true 2 piece floating rotor and it's far more effective at evacuating heat than most other BMW brake systems, and to be completely honest, if RB doesn't have their 2 piece offering, I'd probably be happy with the same OEM rotor replacement...
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0