10-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #20
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Please support your claims with actual data rather than just an opinion or statement. Most people here have had their cars for years and have lots of experience with all aspects of the car, including modding, tuning, and tracking. This forum is probably the best source for, and has the most cumulative amount of information about the Z4. You joined 2 months ago and pop in with 4 posts and zero credibility.

I installed an AFE intake for the sound and my butt dyno says it made zero difference other than the sound. This has been supported by many others over the years.
There is a measurable vacuum within the intake plenum/cover under WOT. The amount of vacuum is reduced significantly when you remove things like the charcoal filter (the baffle in OPs post), the snorkel behind the grille, and the MAF screen.

14.0 inH2O (stock) -> 7.0 inH2O (with the above removed).

At 300m above sea level where I measured, this means:

94.3 kPa MAP (stock) -> 96.1 kPa MAP (with the above removed).

Net gain of 1.9%. Your butt dyno is probably not that sensitive as this is in the neighborhood of 6-7 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
A tune is necessary for any np gain. I have Evolve CF air box with Alpha-N tune for modest gain in hp. There isn't much to gain for NA S54.
Not true, these cars are equipped with a MAF and wideband lambda sensors and can easily adjust for a little extra airflow. Obviously does not apply to CSL style air boxes.

Last edited by Sergio19; 10-29-2019 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00