View Single Post
      12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Some progress last night, and some work today.

Pulled the driver side kick panel and door panel, kick was pretty easy, door panel was a PITA. Need to decide which mount kit, I bought both the Scosche and the Metra.

I like the way the Metra mount kit tucks the HU in just a bit instead of the more stock mounting of the Scosche. I also discovered the Scosche lacks about 1/4" in width and would have to be trimmed. I do like the additional brackets that come with the Scosche, so the final decision is the Metra plate and may incorporate the Scosche brackets.

The kick panel speakers will go in pretty easily, some minor work on the mounting holes and larger washers and it should work fine. I will sound deaden the area where the speaker goes as there is none. The midrange speaker in the door is actually a nice "looking" speaker and appears beefier than the Hertz replacement. I considered using it instead but will stay with a matched component system. The doors have some decent deadening foam on them, I see no need to add anything there. The tweeters are glued in, some judicious work with a razor knife and they come right out. Probably wont make much progress today, will run wires next.

Scosche mount kit:

Wont fit without some trimming:

I like the way the Metra kit tucks the bottom of the radio in so it isn't tilted upwards like the factory unit:

The additional Scosche brackets:

Kick Panel speakers:

Door speakers:

Door panel foam:

Tweeter pod:

Appreciate 0