View Single Post
      02-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
aweltman
Registered
Rep
Drives: what's a car

exploring Camp Michaux near Pine Grove Furnace State Park

Nice to see that visitors from outside the very immediate area have "discovered" Camp Michaux. I live barely a mile up the road from this site, which has been... a farm for the iron industry at Pine Grove Furnace, mid or late 18th century to 1919; a Civilian Conservation Corps work camp in the 1930s; and a church camp until the early 1970s. And, don't tell anyone, it was a top-secret interrogation camp for the U.S. Army during WW2.

The Lee Schaeffer website you mention is a good source of information, as is a book from the Cumberland County Historical Society: The Secret War at Home by John Paul Bland (2006).

I built the unofficial wooden bridge over the creek, which is so skinny because I had to carry it in over my shoulder (about 8 or 10 years ago). I check it regularly and can assure you it's still solid -- I went across it on X-country skis just a week ago. You surely could have walked over it! This Spring I plan to double it by "sistering" a duplicate next to it, so it will be a more comforting 36 inches wide. Come back and try it again when it's wider, and the weather warmer than it is now.

If anyone is going to be in the area and wants to try to set up an informal tour, shoot me a note. My email is below.

--Andre Weltman
aweltman2@sysmatrix.net
Appreciate 0