View Single Post
      08-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Glad you turned back on that fabled bridge!

Plan to investigate your source too... http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazin...-2013/page/40/

Wonderful tale. Thanks!

Just finished reading Day3. I really enjoyed every image, and thoughtful descriptions. You make it so easy to read!

Thank you

Edit again.... a tease... Best Bike Roads in Ontario

http://bikeroads.atspace.com/

Bikerlad has a great site. I am a has-been biker. However our Roadsters enjoy these roads too. And being short, I fit better in a roadster than trying to straddle a too-tall bike!
Dave,

Thanks! I was very surprised at just how jouncy that swinging bridge was. I've been on other ones, and they weren't nearly as daunting. A key issue, I think, was how wide the boards were. In retrospect, I should have walked on the bridge the same way that you move around in a canoe--namely, by keeping all your weight in the very center. By stepping along each side of the bridge, I managed to inadvertently get it rocking back and forth. A lot!

For comparison, check this photo of my brother Curt and his wife Kathy at last weekend's ziplining adventure. See how narrow the bridge is at the bottom? (Not to mention how relatively high the handguides are.) I'm sure I could have handled this bridge just fine. Yes, I'm very confident… Well, maybe… Ah, who am I trying to kid--it still looks terrifying!

Speaking of motorcycling, when I had my BMW F650CS, a neighbor down the street had an R1200GS--a very tall bike if there ever was one. I noticed her riding up to the BMW club corral at Summit Point Raceway, and I was puzzled why she made several very tight circles in the grass before finally stopping. Turns out it was to make sure there was a place where she could reach the ground! (She's 5'3" tall.) We swapped bikes for the ride back to Catonsville, and that's what convinced me to buy an R1200GS.

Of course, I put the optional tall seat onto mine!

I'm not sure when I might get up to Ontario, but it's good to know that there are a lot of great roads up there.

Rick
Appreciate 0