pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
They're huge (part of JAB) and even sell on Amazon. But if you're buying in store, or ordering directly online, they should be better than that.

Of course their Black Cat espresso is a dark roast, so the beans will be brittle, having been through the second crack, so not entirely unusual for a few broken beans. It is probably a lighter roast than most grocery store espresso/French roasts, but I actually find it too dark for my non pressurized espresso machine.

Their In Season offerings are usually quite good. I use Intelligetsia as a control. They're not the best out there, but they're consistently good.
I was shocked at how pale it was. Many, many shades paler than anything else I've ever seen. Maybe there was a quality problem.

My go-to bean is one that a friend of mine roasts at his shop. Give it a go if you like dark roasts. I grind it coarse and run it through my Moccamaster with filtered water. It's truly better than most any coffee I've had elsewhere, and I've drunk coffee all over Europe and the US. Lots of other coffee snobs who have tried it have raved about it too.