View Single Post
      09-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

That's a great report! And great news!

Yet, rod bearings are a mystery wrapped in an enigma....

My 40+ track day Z came back at 50k miles with pretty much the same readings as yours and a "we'd never have guessed a single track day on this motor" message from Blackstone. I changed oil every 3-4 track days, never kept track of miles, since it was well under 2,000 - 3,000 per change.

I regularly red lined my old Z after the oil was fully warm, and didn't baby it, drove it like it wanted to drive...go go go. I also didn't lug the engine, especially when cold, and was super gentle with the throttle until warm, and didn't drive it unless I was going to be driving 20 miles or more.

My new to me Z, 50k miles, mostly freeway, and gentle use, but quite a few shorter trips too. It has lead levels that have made me mothball it until I can get the bearings done next month. (Not unexpected...you roll the dice on bearings, I'd planned for this.)

My wife's car's bearings were toast at 49k, some copper showing, lots of scoring. That car spent it's first 15k miles in San Francisco, where I'm pretty certain it was never warmed up fully, put under heavy load (hills, hills, hills), and driven short distances. Bearings were scary bad.

My suspicion is that it's largely how the car is driven when cold, and, if used for short trips. But that's just conjecture I think. We're back to an enigma.

Note: I'm seriously thinking about moving to Redline 5-50, since the 60 shears down often below 50 anyway, and the better moving oil on start may help with cold engine wear. As with anything oil related, YYMD!
Appreciate 0