01-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #73
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Wow, the cost of all this has made me dizzy. Good grief.

Wait, in that last picture you say new "old" rod bearings. Are you saying you had the bearings replaced, which then led to the cause of your motor destruction? If so, this has always been something I've been PARANOID about. As in, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is this what happened?

Sorry to see all of this happening btw, ugh.
Thanks Nicky, it's been a rough trek, especially with unemployment and this being my only vehicle.

The bearings were what I had replaced by another shop yes, but they left a bolt loose in the engine bay. It rattled loose after a couple thousand miles and caused the failure.

Those are the bearings that the other shop put in (WPC Treated OEM Bearings) that were already showing signs of wear, the other shop simply didn't do a good job all around, I was very disappointed. From oil analysis it was clear that my other ones were about to go given what I've read from what other folks here had experienced. I figured it was time to change them and I went to a shop to have it done, knowing I was able to do it myself I figured they ought to be able to complete the job as well. They did not have the required attention to detail and overall just failed to do any of it right.