04-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Hey Gents,

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

To add more clarity: Car is 2006 Z4M Roadster with 85,000 km / 52,000 miles. I've been addressing cosmetic and mechanical issues. For example I've replaced the VANOS with a Dr Vanos cryo treated unit, and will replace the S54 rod bearings later this month.

When I bought it used, the car came with 19" "csl style" wheels from a manufacturer I am uncertain of. These look amazing, but I am going to revert back to 18" Apex ARC-8 wheels and some new Michelin Super Sport tires as I believe 18" with a slight lowering of the car will look just as good and perform much better on the track.

In hindsight, I think a Z4M Coupe would be better suited to *most* of my needs EXCEPT the roof doesn't go down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Monoball / Spherical suspension mounts or bushings will handle that for you all by themselves and make it feel like you have steel tires, but that is a different topic.
I am keen to learn more about the right bushing replacements / setups as I think at 50k miles and an intent to track the car, some of these components may need replacing.

Quote:
Now let us discuss rebound/comp adjustability. Well really before we can do this, I need more information about what type of coilover system you were potentially considering
I think a 2 way system is right for me. I think I would get lost in the 3 or 4 way adjustments. The performance of the car on the track is going to be more about my driving than any extra suspension adjustments. The 2 way adjustments are mostly to toggle between road and track settings (and perhaps once I get more comfortable in the car some optimization of track settings).

Quote:
If you go for 2-Way with no remote reservoirs you normally get an adjustment extension cable that runs through into the trunk liner area so you can either make the rebound or comp adjustment easily depending on damper design without ripping your vehicle to bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Do you have a convertible or coupe? The adjustment knob for the rears are usually at the top for many coilover systems. It is a pain because I have a convertible. The convertible shelf is in the way of accessing the top of the strut and once you put that back, it's almost impossible to adjust. PSS10 has the knob at the bottom. It'll be my next setup due to this.
The issue with the Roadster vs Coupe now makes sense to me - folks with Coupes don't have any issues because the top of shock is much more accessible than with the Roadster. The accessibility of the adjustment will be a big factor in what I choose.

In terms of the systems I have been looking at:
KW Variant 3
- seems decent quality, decent reviews
- pretty good pricing available right now through ECS Tuning ($200 gift card + $350 rebate)
- still don't quite grok how adjusting the rears will work in a Roadster

JRZ RS Two Sport or RS Pro Sport
- seems high quality, good reviews
- very expensive
- the external dampers on the Pro seem to make adjustment easier
- still don't quite grok how adjusting the rears will work in a Roadster

Bilstein PSS10
- seems decent quality, good reviews
- this seems to be a 1 way system
- the adjustment seems relatively accessible from the bottom of the shock

I am not sure if there are others worth looking at.. my main concern is I don't want to buy a system that I know I won't adjust because it's too tedious on the Roadster to get at the adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
You are local to me. Maybe meetup sometime in the summer? We have a few guys local on this board. A meeting is long over due.
That would be cool! I live in East Van, work in Burnaby, and plan to do some track days at The Ridge via The Speed Syndicate and some autocross out in Pitt Meadows.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0