06-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
And that damn center vent clip attachment system. I've tried 3 times now to remove the vent, and I'm scared I'm going to break it. I finally stuck a flathead into the opening right below the front of the clip ..... the opening you access from inside the top of the vent. I can bend the clip down, but I've been unable to pull the vent forward
This video might help.

It's a bitch getting that out the first time. But once you figure it out it's not that bad. Notice the two clips in the video. What I did was once I loosened one, I shimmied it a bit out. Then loosened the other clip and shimmied it a bit out. When you shimmy some of it out, use a plastic card or something to maintain that gap. After I did that I just pulled it out with my hands (no prying or additional leverage).

Go to the part in the video where the guy pulls out the vent (about 0:50 in). Notice that "bumper" looking thing in the back of the vents? That's just foam that creates a seal between that vent and the air channel. From what I remember, and what I believe, that foam seal is what keeps the vent in tight (I could be wrong). That foam, however, may tear a bit when coming out so be careful. Mine tore a bit but hasn't affected airflow at all.

Side note: For those who ever want to replace the dash panel that surrounds this area, you need to remove both the vents and the radio before removing the dash panel.