View Single Post
      03-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

E82 BMW Performance Brake Calipers on E86 Z4M

Well, as the title says, I will be doing this mod, which needless to say is a horse that has been beaten to death with different view points, anyhow, I always struggled to find photos of how all the necessary parts come together and decided to contribute to the cause

I am not done collecting all the parts, but so far have...

1. the calliper brackets
2. Driver side calliper

Need...

1. Passenger side calliper
2. SS brake lines
3. New rotors

So, let's begin with some photos of the brackets I am using, I decided to go with "Reboot Engineering" as they were made of 6061 aluminum, and are lighter vs the cast iron OE brackets used on the e82 platform.

There as a thread I found where the user stated the OE E82 callipers could be used with only a set of washers to adjust for the different height of the rotor surface relative to the bracket mounting surface on the knuckle. I don't have a calliper so I could not measure the exact value, but the user on other thread called it is 8mm; I was going to follow this approach to save investing in the brackets but this method does not consider the rotor diameter difference so you end up with a pad that does not seat fully on the rotor surface.

Ok... let's jump to the photos

These are the Reboot Engineering items.

The bracket next to the BMW E82 OE "BMW Performance" Assembly

The next two photos show the offset required in the new bracket to radially place the calliper relative to the larger Z4M rotor, our rotors are 7mm larger in comparison to the E82 135i (345 vs 338) so the offset value should be around 3.5mm; by looking at the photos I think the offset is less, but I don't know for sure as I did not have how to measure it; the final test will be once I mount them to see how the pads seat on the Z4M rotors.

The next photo shows the difference in the offset of the knuckle mounting surface, this is what can be adjusted with washers to center the OE E82 calliper in relation to the Z4M rotor.

Finally here is the new bracket assembled to the calliper I have. I used 65 ft/lb and blue Loctite to replace the 10mm hex bolts.

Name:  IMG_9889.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  172.2 KB

Next for me is to source the missing items so I can install the new brake kit.

Last edited by maupineda; 03-30-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
Coi288.50