Thread: AC failure
View Single Post
      07-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
jnmann
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 (E85)

AC failure

Ok so a few days ago my 2006 Z4 (E85) stopped blowing cold AC.. I took it to a shop so they can troubleshoot the system for me.. they told me it was a failed compressor, and they would want to change the receiver/drier and condenser along with it.. so all said and done they quoted me at $2,000.. so I decided to do my own research and rented some AC gauges and verified that the compressor no longer produces pressure in the system.. so instead of getting ripped off by a mechanic I decided to cut the cost and do the job myself.. I sourced an OEM grade kit that includes a compressor, receiver/drier, expansion valve, compressor oil, and o-rings for $330.. I’m planning on taking the car to a shop so they can evacuate the system, then change the compressor and receiver/drier, then taking it back to the shop so they can pull a vacuum on the system and recharge the system with refrigerant.. I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has ever done anything like this.. I’ve worked on cars before, but nothing like a Z4 where the car sits so low to the ground.. hopefully the parts will be here soon, and I’ll definitely write about my experience after all is said and done
Appreciate 0