View Single Post
      07-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Probably late to the party since the OP headed out to buy the car a while ago, but I have a friend who tracks his 350Z and we run together with my 3.0si Roadster frequently. Art's got upgraded brakes, suspension upgrades, and probably most significant a non-stock higher ratio diff. My 3.0si has stock brakes with track pads and Ate 200 fluid, Koni Sport struts/shocks, and H&R front sway. To provide further calibration I run in SCCA Street class, and Art's 350 is partially modded to Street Prepared. We've run against each other at Daytona on both the infield Driver School track and the full IMSA course. With Art's mod's he accelerates a bit quicker, turning we're about even, and my car significantly out brakes his 350Z. Overall we turn about the same lap times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCoupe View Post
I took my stock 3.0si on the track and the brakes overheated and the electric water pump failed. So it's not really prepped for hard track use in stock form. However, there are guys on this forum that track these cars and love them.
If one does nothing else to prep their car for the track, a change to high temp brake fluid is a must. While pad fade from overheat is scary, brake loss from boiling the brake fluid is terrifying. With pad fade you're standing on the brake pedal but not get the braking you expected. With fluid boil the pedal just goes to the floor and you have no braking at all until you can pump some cooler fluid into the calipers and hopefully regain a bit of system pressure.

Another note comparing the 3.0i to the 3.0si to the M, the front calipers on the 3.0si are from the 330i and are bigger rotors and calipers than the 3.0. The M calipers and rotors are larger still.

Last edited by dc_wright; 07-20-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0