10-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
FYI. I went down this path about a year ago and, to be perfectly honest, I was turned off by AST's inability to provide useful and concise information about the kit they claimed was compatible with the Z4M platform. Both AST and their retailers seemed to lack definitive information about the Z4M kit they may (or may not) have had available for me. Perhaps things have changed but I haven't yet seen any new information provided in this thread.

I too learned that they use E36 dampers up front and E46 dampers out back; however, from my research (and common sense) you can't simply install an E36 damper on the front and an E46 damper on the rear and call it a day. This is why I reached out to their team in the first place as I wanted to know what valving changes were done and if travel on the dampers were shortened which, I've been told, is necessary to avoid clunking and rattling.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get information that satisfied me enough to install it in my car. Given how frequently I find myself on the track, I wasn't willing to be the test and tune car for them to hash things out on.

Maybe they found that guinea pig and have since made strides towards offering a Z4M-specific kit (that may, for example, reuse E36 and E46 shock bodies) but I think you need to confirm that. Just saying that the kit uses E36 and E46 dampers so it's good to go ain't going to cut it for anyone who cares about the setup of their car.

That said, having this kit available for a Z4M platform would be quite awesome. I've heard GREAT things about their products.
Harold is contacting AST about this.