View Single Post
      05-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #39
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
I'd fully agree with what you just said. Worded it well too, wish BMW was reading this.

Looking at the homage of what M cars were in their time, not looking back on an M car being 10 years old today, but back in their prime, they were an absolute breed of special, they were completely different. To your point, literally an F1 engine in the E60, people still stop to watch that car in downtown Chicago.

Even looking at a B58 M340i X-Drive and an F80 M3, toss in a JB4 and methanol on the 340, and you are making some serious power, quite reliably too, why am I spending another $25K for the M?

M-Sport/Performance and ///M are getting very close to each other. When taking a step back, it is a phenomenal marketing effort, but something raw and unadulterated needs to come out of BMW. Call it the ///F for all I care. Maybe this is where they are trying to go with the Competition, CS, GTS etc...

It's also hard when (IMO), BMW is truly making the best product on the road, they don't genuinely need to be better than what they are doing, so why do it? Do they want to play in the land of exotics? The E60 M5 was really a Lambo with 4 doors at the end of the day. They are always cautious in this territory. I wouldn't consider an i8 to be all of that "special" in the world of fascinating vehicles.
Totally agree with this.

An M car in previous generation gave you more differentiation than it does now. You got a DCT which was more special. You got more hp, a different transmission and suspension. Now they've taken away 1 of the 3 things. And since the m340i , x3 m40i etc are going to have / have 380hp+ the HP difference is there, but it doesn't feel as big a difference too so even that feels less different.

When the f80 came out the 335i made 300hp. So it had 30% more hp at 425hp. Now its 382 and 473 or whatever the x3 m has which I'd assume the G80 will have. Which is 24% more and given tires probably feels even less. the "real M car" difference is growing smaller which makes it less interesting.
Appreciate 0