06-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Jimswift
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
That's gorgeous. Theirs one tip though... we want more more MORE! lol no but really I have a tip. Not really a tip but instead an experiment. Try setting the shutter speed to about 30 seconds and move the light around the car. I have no idea how it'll look but I've always wanted to do it. My free camera renting days at school are over lol

Beautiful shot!
Haha, none of the other test shots turned out quite how I hoped! But I'll try to post some up soon to get more feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Great shot. You have good taste in wheels! Love the look. What was the lightsource?
I was ill-prepared. All attempts at light painting were done using an iPhone flashlight, which is why I ended up with such hard lines I think. Will need to research a better light source. Also, these will likely forever be my favorite wheels for the Z4M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
Great shot, Jimswift.

Except for the wheels, it looks like we enjoy the same ///M. Let me know if ever you are in the Okanagan.
I try to get up to Kelowna/Salmon Arm every second summer. If I make it up this year, I'll let you know. Group photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Nice job! Light painting has gained momentum these past few years, great to see more people picking it up. I'm not really a photographer (though sometimes I like to play with cameras), so take the feedback with a grain of salt

-Is this done via a single pass? Try making multiple passes at different angles and layering these passes in photoshop to help accentuate different areas on the car. Might take some experimenting but you can really make different aspects pop.

-Watch out for ghosting (don't know if that's the term?) of the camera picking up your movement across the front of the car. In this shot, you can see some darker blotches on the ground near the front of the car - you should be able to pshop these out no problem but do look out for it.

-Lastly, I'd say double check your composition - you've got what looks like a pretty cool background but the car seems to be blocking it (maybe that's a limitation of the location though). Also, the car looks like it's pointing up hill a bit here, a bit of tilt to the right would help level things out (again, could be done in post or original framing).

Now, let's see some more pics!
I really appreciate the tips and feedback. I hadn't thought of using multiple layers, which should be pretty easy to do. I will definitely try that next time. As for the ghosting, I cannot unsee it now. Certainly something I'll try and avoid. Multiple images should mean less time walking in front of the camera, which should help with this.

Who needs to look out at a background when the Z4M is the foreground?!? I'll see if I can keep all these ideas in my head next time!

2006 Z4MR / RPI / Gruppe M / Euro / DKF / KW V3 / Morr vs8.2
Appreciate 0