02-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #350
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Been a bit, and there has been some good process on the door skins. Initially sourcing CF was a real disappointment as it was very costly. Over 500 us just for 2 sections of 90cm x50cm

The other issue is that our doors are not flat, so offsets will have to be put in place. Initially I wanted to make this cosmetically very OEM looking, but came to the conclusion that the first and foremost it must be functional and it must be light.

I've nearly finished my mark I design and I am pretty happy with it. It took quite a long time to shape as the arm rest side isn't completely straight with the window rubber.

Only the offsets to be put in place to go. And the door handle/strap to be sorted.

Pictures to come when the kids get off my phone..

Just bought some 2x2 twill of CF material. specs below.
Going to see if my surfboard shaping skills haven't left me.

Material
High-quality Toray Carbon Fiber
Weave: 2*2 twill
Ends Per Inch :13
Yarn Size: 3K
Thickness: 0.012"/0.3mm
Weight: 7.1oz / 240gsm
Tensile strength:640KSI / 4380Mpa

This should be fun, I wonder what would be nicer, matt or gloss, probably;y matt id say.

Depending on the cost of the resin, should turn out pretty cheap, even if I have to double up on the CF to get the thickness I need. Looking for 1mm thick skin. hopefully will turn out pretty darn light.. sadly, if it turns out really nice, it would be a shame to cover up the CF with Alcantara, so if this does turn out good, ill probably only cover the arm rest in fabric.

Note: I've decided against using the P-rs3 door pulls as if something happens and gowd-forbid, you need to get out fast, id never forgive myself if something went wrong with the door pull and for whatever reason that you couldn't open the door. Going to use the stock hem door openers.. at least they are engineered to work, and safe.

The door pulls will be just that, a door pull. not for opening and unlocking the door.

edit:

On a side note, my car is in for corner balancing atm, hopefully get it back today.