05-29-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Help with aftermarket headlight issue

Hi Folks,

I have a 2006 Z4M Roadster with Xenon lights. I really wanted black housing on the headlights, and one of my ballasts died, so I decided to purchase some headlights from Umnitza. I will hold off on expressing my experience with them as a vendor until the issue I have encountered is resolved (one way or another).

I bought their ProjectorZ4 headlights, which are Spyder headlights, custom ordered with a Bi-Xenon projector, Orion v2 RGB Angel Eyes, and LED high beam bulbs, assembled by Umnitza. I had these installed by my mechanic. There are some issues.

At first when the headlights were installed ALL the bulbs in the headlamp assembly lit up regardless of the light switch position - parking lights, low beam, high beam, turn signals. Effectively everything was set as the DRL. This was not the case with my factory headlights, so I am assuming this is not the LCM.

I was able to use iCarly to set the DRLs to just be the low beam lamps, so at least the car can be driven at night (it was not safe to drive with the high beams on all the time). And at least the programming of the lights was effective, so at least that is known to be working correctly.

However, when the light switch is in the parking lights position (position 1), or the fully on position (position 2), all the bulbs in the housing are lit up. The bi-xenon high beams are not operable, using the high beam switch does nothing with the bi-xenon "shutter".

I needed to get the car out of my reputable indy's shop so I took it home as it was.

I am going to try and get some help from Umnitza, and possibly from my mechanic, but I am wondering if anyone here has encountered anything like this and can provide some guidance or troubleshooting tips.

Thank you
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0