02-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #66
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
A good shop should be able to match them I'd think.

I bought mine from a forum member who was parting out his car. He had them about a year I think, and had them painted by his local BMW dealer/shop before putting them on the car. I'd expect our cars have different exposure to sunlight/UV rates, and yet I really can't see any difference in the color or quality compared to the stock pieces or the doors or other body panels.

Ship just had his door, fender, bumper, and quarter panel painted and it looks like a perfect match (and he sent those off to be painted as pieces, not on the car).

IDK, maybe there's nothing to worry about here; then again mine is black (Sapphire Black Metallic) and Ship's is white. Anyone else a "paint guy" here who can offer some advice?
Solid colors are always an easier match. But paints with metallics can be tricky due to things that can play with how the flake will lay and catch light once launched from the gun.

Things like air pressure...distance from panel when spraying...speed of stroke etc. all manipulate the outcome. Then there is of course the texture of the final clear-coats. Its all interplay and can be tough.
Appreciate 0