01-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
I still have my SOS module, and I think it's neat to have two serious buttons behind a protective cover. But I've been thinking of swapping it out for the oddments tray.

For those who kept the SOS module: Do you subscribe to the service? Have you had to use it? Has anyone who haven't subscribed to the service, pressed the buttons to see what happens? It's like a fire alarm I want to pull so bad just to see if something's going to go off.
I had a surprise rain cloud come out of nowhere and my seats and center console got a little wet. I quickly wiped them down, but evidently the low nature of those switches was where water collected, and it was causing a closed circuit that was activating the service. I decided I would keep mine and here's why.

When it activated, it said my service was not active and asked if I wanted to activate it. I said no. It disconnected. The water made it repeat dial. So, I said no again, but it kept calling back. I gave up and decided to just let it go through. An operator asked if I was OK. I didn't say anything. The operator then said, if you don't respond, we will notify emergency services and send help. Interesting. I don't know if they send a bill for this, or if they do this for free as a way to protect themselves against legal action even if your subscription has lapsed. I then spoke to the lady and told her what was going on and asked her to make a note on the account that the switch was wet and malfunctioning and I would have it corrected within an hour.

I then went home, disconnected the switch and rapped it against my hand to shake out the water and let it air dry before replacing. It's been fine since.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1