04-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
yeah and then you have some room to reach into the engine with your arms, through the crossframe and remove the belts.

Otherwise you have to go between the engine and crossframe.

With the air box removed you have some extra room diagonally, but the alternator belt sits on the deep under and on the other side of course.

Of course from underneath is even more accessible, but you have to put the car on jackstands and remove the spashguard. That's work too and is mainly handy for the airco belt. The official way to remove the alternator belt is removing the upper radiator cover and remove the electric fan to gain sufficient access.
I see what you mean now - remove the plastic to allow you to reach THROUGH the cross brace. That makes sense now. I actually jacked the car up to make it easier to reach everything which then made it take 15 seconds with my drill and driver to take the splash guard off and everything was RIGHT there and easy to see and reach. Popped all the belts off in 5 seconds and when the parts get here today they will be easy to put in with it elevated like that too - great tips. I cleaned all the mating surfaces off, blew everything out and added a touch of anti-seize to the areas to make everything easier to slide back into place.

Both belts looked great. Not a single crack in either of them and both still supple, so I suspect they had been replaced before. BUT I'm not going to chance one breaking after I have them off just to save $30 in belts, so it is worth the piece of mind. Everything else looks great and spins free and smooth.

Hope to have her back on the bench and ready to go into the game by tonight. Weather is breaking - ready to get her washed up and top down!

Thanks again for the tips.