View Single Post
      04-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
LOL - I went and bought a set that had the T50 in it. I pulled the car into my shop last night to get her lined up for the parts arrival this week and like always once I popped the hood I thought "might as well take that airbox out - only 2 bolts - I can do that in my work clothes"......a hour later the belt is off and the alternator is on the bench. AND I found I DID already have a T50 in my tool box! Idiot.

Now I see why people say to do the outside belt from underneath.....jeesh. If the Alt belt was on the outside this would have an hour job start to finish. Or if you are not replacing the belt. But I know how that goes - I put the old belt back on to be lazy - it will snap on my first time when I get away from home. Not falling for that one. Also not going to fight doing it from the top - just to save getting it in the air and dropping the bottom cover. Just do it and be done with it.

I don't see how removing the plastic radiator cover would help me though - there is a metal piece right below it unless that is something for non-electric fan cars maybe? I left it on and had plenty of room once I got the airbox out of the way.

Anyway - I see what you mean about getting that bottom bolt lined up and started - that might be fun! The tip I read about putting the bolt back in and tapping on it with a hammer to get the slide nut back inside the case was gold. Came right out after that. I squirted a little panther piss in there from the back first and it moved right back into place.

This site sure makes these unknown things easier - thanks for all the tips!