View Single Post
      03-27-2023, 08:11 AM   #9
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
My car did that after I had the intake off. I used narrow screw clamps to attach it to the ITBs; one of them was interfering with the throttle actuating rods and not allowing full throttle. If I pushed the gas pedal down far enough it would buck violently; otherwise it ran smoothly. I rejiggered the clamp to allow the ITB actuator to have full range of motion and the problem was gone.
I remember when you warned me about that the first time and I had checked to see that there was no interference but I have had the intake plenum off many times since then.

I just went out to the garage and checked again and there was a small interference between the black plastic ball of the centre linkage and the hex head of the jubilee clamp right at the end of the linkage travel.
So in other words right where the linkage ball goes with "foot to the floor" acceleration.

Not much of an interference, I could easily push the linkage past it but the throttle actuator motor might be more sensitive to resistance than my finger.
And now that I think about it I remember reading somewhere that the throttle actuator won't fully open the butterfly plates until about 4000 rpm right where the bucking occurs.

This is looking like the smoking gun but I won't be able to test it until tomorrow, it is snowing at the moment.
Fingers crossed, a mechanical fix is so much nicer to deal with than a ghost in the machine.
Thanks
3002 tii2285.50