eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Con's

- Need's a Tune to disable MAF sensor, which in turn removes some of the cars functionality (No Heel and Toe)
- Is unreasonably expensive
- With aftermarket headers and exhaust, won't be heard
- Negligible gains
The loss of heel 'n' toe is an issue with the one specific vendor's Alpha N Tune afaik and not a general Alpha N Tune side effect. Typically I believe throttle response is regarded as improved with a good tune and the CSL style airbox.

It depends upon the exhaust system as to what you hear. I think it's important to ensure the exhaust doesn't drown out the intake sound (which for me is a much nicer sound). But I think with just something like Euro headers, from the recordings I have listened to, you are getting the primary performance gain without so much additional noise it drowns out the intake sound.

I assume the "negligible gains" is referring to horsepower? From what I understand, headers, tune, and airbox (CSL style or Eventuri style) are the primary means of boosting power in these engines without forced induction or getting into full race builds.

I have an Eventuri intake on my Z4M with stock exhaust and the sounds is fantastic. I definitely could see a CSL airbox in my future because when I listen to an E46 M3 equipped with one, it's an amazing sound, one of the nicest street car sounds I've ever heard.

cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0