View Single Post
      03-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #64
JeremyCronin
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 '18 Stelvio '07 Mazda6

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while to learn how to replace the faulty roof motor on my 2003 Z4 2.5i (it was the normal rusted out from standing water issue. Bought it that way for $1000 off the asking price).
Huge thanks to everyone who is contributing to sharing the knowledge on this!!

Using the guides here and elsewhere I was able to dismantle the top, replace the motor ($600) and start putting it back together again with the motor in the trunk, but the top is not working.

Here's my analysis so far - hope someone can confirm what I need to do next:
* Microswitch of the trunk shelf is activated with some paper wedged in there.
* Red handle is in the correct position.
* Windshield latch mechanism is working.
* Motor is whirring when it's turn comes, but the top doesn't move.
* I opened the air release screw under the black latch mechanism, and did get a bit of a hiss of air coming out, after reading on the internet that perhaps air needs to be bled.

When I reconnected the hydraulic hoses, I put them in the same positions that they were on my old pump, but someone on the internet pointed out that the numbers on the pump block should match the numbers on the hoses.
However, I don't have numbers on my hoses - at least not ones I can see...
I looked at the old motor, and indeed the numbers there seem to be on the opposite side. i.e. if numbers 11 and 13 are by the left outlet on the new pump, they are by the right outlet on the old one.

Question 1: Am I correct in thinking that I need to switch the hoses over?

I didn't get new washers for the hydraulic connectors, but since this will be the 3rd time I'm reconnecting them, maybe I should.

Question 2: Can anyone point me to a quick link for the correct parts I need to buy?

In all my attempts to get it to work, I lost some hydraulic fluid, so I'm assuming I need to fill some up.

Question 3: How do I fill hydraulic fluid? How do I know what level to fill it to? Will it be ok if I use some of the fluid out of the old motor?

I also noticed that the green and blue wires were connected on opposite sides on the new motor - Assuming I need to switch those over as well.

Question 4: If I try to operate it with the wires connected incorrectly, could it cause any harm? And what will it actually do?

Thanks again to all who are giving advice!
Jeremy
Appreciate 0