Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Diet and exercise are important, as has been repeatedly made clear in many posts on this thread.

I suggest that solving the weight maintenance equation by exercise alone is a trap many people fall into, and find it hard to get out of.

Go to the gym
Ride the bike
Run
Lift weights
Swim
Do it again, and again, and again

But don't take a hard look at diet, particularly caloric intake.

The fitness industry and culture wants consumption (buy food and eat) and activity (buy clothing and gear and gym memberships). Even more evident with "pre fuel, post fuel" eating regimens, and post-workout reward binge meals.

Especially as one ages, high caloric burn becomes more difficult or impossible at high levels. This means developing self discipline in the quantity and quality of food consumed is a non-negotiable element of weight maintenance and control.

Does anyone agree that activity addiction without sufficient attention to caloric intake is a slippery slope many people slide down? I see it all around me.
One of the big problems is almost everyone is thinking in terms of "calories", and while a useful measure for heater fuel it has almost no relevance to human physiology. Calories is how much something, anything from horse shit to cognac heats up a cc of water when you burn it. The body doesn't have "calorie receptors" tho, it is concerned with 3 substrates, carbs, fats and proteins and it handles each in a very distinct way, and it will handle the same substrate in differing ways depending on body conditions. The conditions are called hormones, the big one is insulin. Until that is under control all the calorie counting and exercise in the world is just mental masturbation, not gonna help a bit and is likely to hinder tbh.

The problem is not gluttony and sloth, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of the process at play here, and it's a hormonal problem, not a caloric one.
Appreciate 1
arkie6397.00