View Single Post
      01-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #20
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Really enjoyed watching this thread and comments as they were posted.

Have to wonder if most of the posters understand that this is a "flexible" gasket made of materials designed for flexibility. My gasket came in a plastic sealed package looking like a mess of spaghetti. Laid it out to let it relax into its rectangular shape in a warm room then inserted it into the recess on the valve cover gasket it's designed to fit in. Then torqued it down in accordance with direction provided in TIS... Gasket silicone on the VANOS joints and on the corners of the half moons...torquing inner to outer and crossways etc taking my time so that it came down evenly.

It's the install that's critical... Not the silly picture of a gasket with a slight "bow" that evoked "hysteria"...

I just rebuilt my VANOS along with replacing water pump, thermostat housing and all the idlers/pulleys on the front end last weekend. No codes and not a drop of oil or antifreeze to be found later after running up/filling radiator/checking for proper level.

If you have an oil leak after replacing the gasket then it wasn't installed and torqued properly...