View Single Post
      02-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i - Saphire Black

How to: Clean the inside of your Speedometer Gauge Window

I've noticed some residue and water spot buildup on the inside of my speedometer gauge cover, and I decided to take some pictures of my process after cleaning it today. It's really quite a simple job and I had it done in less than 30 minutes. I used Invisible Glass and a few shop towels to do the cleaning.

Step 1. Remove the single T20 Torx screw on the top, middle section of the gauge bezel. Once this screw is out, you can remove the entire gauge cluster with a couple good pulls.

Step 2. Once the gauge cluster has been removed from the dash, you need to unhook the cable that is attached. Simply press down on the black clip lock and then gently pull on the white clip. The cable will easily detach.

Step 3. Unscrew the four T8 Torx screws in the back of the cluster. Once they are removed, look for the black plastic clips on the sides and bottom. Carefully unhook them and pull the backing away. This will reveal the electronics and motherboard, so be careful.

Step 4. Removing the front silver gauge bezel can be a little tricky, since I didn't know what tool I was supposed to use to unhook the clips. I used a flat head screwdriver, but there may be something better. Start by unhooking the side clips, and then unhook the more difficult bottom ones (see picture).

This part took me the longest, but once the silver piece is out, it's a bit easier to remove the black piece that holds the gauge window.

Step 5. Clean the windows. Invisible glass worked great for me. Some people have suggested using an air duster to blow out any dust or dirt that may be hiding in there.

Follow these steps in reverse order to reassemble. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 2