View Single Post
      09-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #32
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

this is in no way an attack and i'm certainly not trying to start something negative here...

ok, first you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlogan33 View Post
Do U realize how little difference one pound of wheel weight makes in the total weight of the rear drive axle, especially on the street?
and then...

Quote:
Street wheels & tires, by design and function are heavier for all road conditions and track wheels & tires are very light for speed & traction on dry conditions.
if track wheels and tires are very light for speed and traction, why wouldn't weight matter?

my reference to the rear axle was not for the total weight of the assembly. it was for how much mass the engine has to turn (i.e. rotational inertia), which you have clearly felt, because you said...

Quote:
I use very light forged wheels with special tread-less track tires, which are very light.
When I change wheels at the track, my street BBS wheels & pilot Super Sport tires feel twice the weight of my track wheels & tires.
so, in short, unless you have the money to spend on light weight wheels (we can't count tires here; we've already established their mass is detrimental), be weary about how big of a wheel you go to on a limited budget. hence the OP's interest in VMR, Miro, etc...

as for the looks issue...

it's personal taste. you like that your rear wheels are over-flush. that's fine; however, looks is not what i was hitting on. i'm more concerned that under load, the tires may have clearance issues. especially so if the car is going to be lowered. and if the car does get lowered, tire wear will be damn near unbearable, unless the OP has a giant stack of burnable income like you clearly do.

one thing i have learned today...

apparently, people think i will only understand something if it's printed in bold.