View Single Post
      05-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #49
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Sure, it all depends on your time horizon, appetite for risk and additional funds on hand. In my case, I’m taking funds from single stocks which are riskier but happen to be trading at all time highs and moving it into a lower, but less risky guaranteed return, which has the added benefit of lowering my needs for cash flow for fixed expenses. I’ve got plenty in another bucket of funds for emergencies and purchasing assets at depressed prices. Actually overweight on cash or cash equivalents at the moment, but I’m not working so not too concerned about it.

Paying off a car and recasting the mortgage reduces my burn rate on what i budgeted for taking time off and would actually allow me to put more money into investments when the time comes.

Also, we tend to hold on to our cars for much longer than average so depreciation isn’t really a concern. By the time I would be looking to get rid of it, it’s usually not even worth selling. Donated the last one to charity for the tax deduction.
I'm about saving cash right now. I have enough to pay all of my bills, but my income has dropped about 80% (Ophthalmologist, just reopened). I arranged for 3 month forbearances on my mortgage and car loans, so I don't have to borrow on margin from investments or sell when they are low if things go south again. Once income stabilizes, I'll just pay those off or add onto the end of the term.
Appreciate 0