Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
In car talk, do you get the safe reliable Honda Accord which so many buy and have a great track record (index fund, think major stable companies with large market share and steady consistent slow growth). Hop into the sporty 911 that is a female and cop magnet (small and mid cap funds that can produce higher returns because of faster growth funds but aren't stallworths and have risk). Chase the Aventador, a bigger magnet, that is awesome but an expensive risk (international funds). Or go electric with the Model S that everyone is chasing and may be the next best thing (venture capital). A solid Ford Explorer will take you on your journey for many years and adapt as you grow from single outdoor guy car, to versatile young couple ride, to reliable kid hauler (target date retirement fund). Don't forget the reliable and boring Town and Country that isn't glamorous or fast but gets you there slow and steady (low yield bonds). Or stock your garage with a mix of cars that each serve a purpose and spread around the fun; wouldn't it be nice to have a choice of different rides each day.
This is brilliant. I currently own a Lotus Exige, BMW M2, and Acura RDX, so you see what kind of guy I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'd keep the lotus it's beautiful.
Thanks man. And honestly gaining value every year, and will probably continue to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
First thing is to figure out what your purpose with this fund will be. If you have other investments or secure retirement savings, this might be “play” money. If this is your whole nut, then you might want to be more careful.
I'm 49 and it's the whole thing, so I'd want to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
One other piece of advice. If you put the same amount of time, research and passion into this as you put into your other hobbies or job (cars, video games, golf, whatever), you will develop expertise and begin to enjoy the investing game like those hobbies.
I've tried that, but I'm just not into it. I want to put the money where it's smartest to go, and forget it even exists until the day I retire. So I was looking at Edward Jones, and a diversified portfolio.
Appreciate 0