03-22-2024, 09:29 AM   #1080
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I have been an amateur genealogist chasing my family tree for the past 20 years and my mind is continuously boggled. There are lords and ladies; scholars and notables (Mayflower Compact signatory); low down reprobates; and dirt farmers galore. They even spent about 120 years living in Newport Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island (howdy neighbor).

The farthest back I have gotten so far is my 30th great grandfather Ivo de Taillebois (1026 Anjou, Maine-et-Loire, France - 1094 Spalding, Lincolnshire, England). Ivo was a close confidant of, and fought with William the Conqueror in his conquest of England in 1066. He also led King William's forces in the Seige of Hereward the Wake in Ely, Cambridgeshire 1069-1071. He was reward with huge amounts of land and numerous Titles. Earl of Holland; Sheriff of Linconshire; Baron of Kendal; Steward to King William the 2nd. He was also granted all of the land that makes up the present day Counties of Lincolnshire and Cheshire.

Did I ever see any of this vast largess? Nooo.. the ensuing generations pissed it all away and left me with bupkis. Still, this stuff fascinates me, and I am a hopeless geneholic who has done trees for many family and friends over the years.
Wifey is into that stuff. Her family founded a few towns in Massachusetts. This statue in Salem is Roger Conant, one of her great-great-something-or-others.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3