View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #38
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Here's the before and after on my steering wheel spokes. I scrapped off the degraded coating with my fingernails and a wet scotch brite pad, leaving the glossy black plastic. I liked that look, so I simply left it at that and remounted them.

I did have to replace the button group on the left, as the underlying plastic was white. That and someone looked to have touched it up with some black enamel brush on paint (a pretty poor job at that). The one on the right has just had the coating cleaned off of it.

I popped out the air bag, but did not disconnect it. That gave me access to remove and reinstall those pieces. I did, though, disconnect the battery.

For the driver's side window button switch cover, I did end up painting it, as it was a bit scratched up. A previous owner probably had long fingernails. I cleaned off the coating as with the steering wheel pieces, fine sand with 600 grit wet/dry paper, paint with Dupli-Color paint+primer, then coat with a matte UV resistant clear coat. The Dupli-Color paint+primer indicates that it is formulated for plastics adhesion.
Attached Images

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0