View Single Post
      10-21-2023, 06:51 PM   #167
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut9002 View Post
Thanks for the updated/tweaked files. I was finally able to get my son to help me (it's his printer) and trying to print with ABS, but it's very finicky. We don't have any PETG, and figured the PLA wouldn't survive the first day of hot sun exposure. Will keep you updated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut9002 View Post
Would you mind sharing the part orientation and key printer settings? I’m now trying with PLA, but not experienced enough to even get the thing started (keeps pulling off the bed), and my son is away at school and too busy to help his dear ol’ dad. Hate to ask given all you’ve already done for us!
not a problem...more than happy to help.

ABS is tricky...you have to print it incredibly hot and you really need an enclosure to get the temps just right. plus it strings easily (even with super fast retraction settings) and can cause a real mess for post-print clean up. this is why i abandoned ABS for later only if i absolutely had to.

my printer head runs hot so my head temp reads on the low side when it is more like 20-30 degs hotter than it shows.

i use a bed adhesive. the adhesive is the usual glue stick kind...just apply and spread it evenly across the surface.

the key for me to get good bed adhesion (in addition to the glue) is to run the first layer with a bed temp of 70deg (with reduced print speed to 50% and print layer width to 150% and a brim three lines wide and one layer thick)...then drop the temp to 60 for layer two and then 50 for layer three and beyond.

all layers printed with a static head temp of 190 for PLA and 195 for PETG. adjust these temps for your specific printer quirks and material specs.

I am also using an enclosure that creates a stable ambient temp of 32-33deg (with the aforementioned bed/head temps)...this gives a temperature gradient of only 17-18 deg from the bed to the surrounding air. this does wonders for warping and curling.

Here are the screen captures for the settings i use in Simplify3D plus a pic of the supports and orientation for the split model.
Attached Images

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0