KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What didn't you like about the E39? I've driven them multiple times, and while I think they are the perfect all in one daily drivers, I don't see myself paying the prices that some of them are going for now.
The numb recirculating-ball steering was a big turn-off, and while they handle quite well for a huge 2-ton-plus barge, it's still not stellar overall. Also the lack of factory Bluetooth and the absolute awfulness of the M-audio "upgraded" OEM infotainment was driving me crazy. I was not interested in replacing any of it with modern gear (cost, lack of originality, hurting resale value, etc) so I fixed what I could - Mk4 nav brain upgrade, Intravee, Moto Bluetooth dongle on the sun visor - but at the end of the day, the nav was still unusable, M-audio sounded awful, and my Bluetooth solution sucked. Also despite buying a super-clean turnkey example, it was still a money pit in the year that I owned it. I also had a ZHP coupe at the time and found myself preferring to drive it - that was the clear signal that it wasn't something I wanted to hang onto. So I sold it and bought a new Golf R, which scratched all my itches along with providing far greater fuel economy and practicality. 2 years later I sold the ZHP, and a few months after that, decided that I needed another Z4MC to go with the Golf, and now my life is complete again.