12-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Are you assuming it’s cosmetic because the rotors are the same? What about weight savings and increased pad area?

I have run both a mostly fully prepped stock set up (PFC pads, brass caliper bushings, high temp fluid, racing brake rotors and lines... just missing cooling) and now run the 996 set up. Here are the advantages I see to the 996 set up:

Modulation- so much better then the stock brakes. So much more feel and depth to the pedal. This alone I think makes me faster. That said I dont have any before and after data to back it up so it could maybe just be the extra confidence in the pedal giving me the illusion of being faster. I was never unhappy with the power of prepped stock set up but i always thought the pedal lacked feel compared to other cars I have driven. It's when you're braking deep in a corner and your at the last 10-15% of pedal pressure that I think the feel with this set up is most improved.

Pads swaps- the 996 set up is dumb easy to swap pads on. You only pull one pin and the pads are out.

Weight savings- You save about 2-3 pounds per corner.

I put my kit together for around $1200 including pads and for that cheap price i see it as a decent upgrade. Of course a PFC, Alcon or Stoptech setup would definitely out perform it but depending on what you're looking for in a brake set up it might be one that fits your needs.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0