View Single Post
      07-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

GDay Michael,

Was hoping you'd drop in and have a chat.
The intent at the moment is to create a really nice and light track car, but I am not ruling out racing at home in Oz later-on, or possibly here in Dubai. Camms (racing body back home in oz)rules are pretty tough, and any cage must be FIA approved.

It is of course possible to change the cage lateron, which would be cheaper for me in the mean time also, so I am ok to go down that route.

The biggest issue I have with the cage design above is that it hooks into the rear strut towers, which I don't like. Its easy for the cage builder, but could be dangerous.

The other issue I have with the above design is that if I have the strut bars along the sides of the seats, it WILL prevent me from being able to road register the car. (I am actually not completely sure how the body kit and all the other bits and pieces are going to go down at the RTA come registration time, probably not well I would imagine anyways

So I was thinking about designing my own cage, borrowing heavily from this design, but ending at the front windshield and have the side bars being able to bolt in and out for rego. (I know, that compromises the design, but its all a trade off) and having only a single cross member in the roof and having the rear of the cage welded to the chassis at the rear instead of the strut tower.

I would love to hear what you think Mick, I know you mentioned the rules, but at this stage, thats beyond the scopre of where ill be with the car in the next few years.

By the way, shot Sean a message about which SLR kit to grab for this build.