11-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #37
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
This and other reliability issues have me looking at a new Z06. I think I'm done with german cars for a while. A 50K rod bearing life on top of the Vanos bolt and hub issues, O2 sensor failures, and other misc problems doesn't sit well with me. Who wants to rebuild their engine every 50K as part of "routine maintenance"?

Besides, GM finally fixed the seats for 2012!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Vettes are cool, but I don't think our engines are as weak as you believe. There are e46 m3's with well over 100k miles that have never had their rod bearings changed and have not experienced any problems. They may not have over 50 track days, but I'm betting a lot of cars will have to have some costly work/ preventative work done after 50 track days.
The 'Vette is very nice, and a very capable car, but I don't think for one minute that after 50 track days some similar maintenance (or more) isn't going to be required. I'd see just how well those GM components stand up under this kind of use: I'd be willing to bet after 50 or so track days there's some significant expense in rebuilding or replacing components. But then again, I could be wrong. I you do that research, let us know what you find.

Actually I'm surprised at how well it's held up, and was thinking that this makes a good argument for keeping the car. Just shows how folks draw different conclusions from the same data I guess.
Appreciate 0