View Single Post
      03-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
I like Mobil1 0W-40FS for a street driven car. In the end it doesn't seem to matter even those who only use Castrol 10W-60 end up having worn bearings from what I have found on various threads.

Oil rankings from this site:
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

Quote:
7. 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN, synthetic = 127,221 psi
105. 10W60 Castrol TWS Motorsport, API SJ conventional = 90,163 psi

Quote:
540 RAT
And below is a related message that I received from one of my BMW Blog readers:
Hi Rat,
Some time ago I wrote here that I changed the oil viscosity in my BMW S54-6-cylinder-M-engine from the suggested 10W60 to 0W40 using Mobil1 New Life.
Now I have covered some 50,0000 kms since then (before it was 5 W 50 for two oil changes, equaling approx. another 15.000 kms). Engine has reached 92,000 and I decided to have the rod bearings replaced.
Some owners make frightening experiences on this occasion: Wear patterns far from normal, rubbed-through layers with shiny copper exposed.
Guess what?
“Nothing to worry about here. Still enough life in the first layer of the bearing for another (!!) 90,000 kms. Wear pattern isn’t very unusual for this engine: Even and over the whole surface of the bearings each of them alike, no spotting visible.”
Rooted back to two aspects: Quickest possible build-up of oil flow after cold start due to “0W” and best possible “oil cushion” in the bearing due to high flow with reduced temperature throughout the whole bearing.
There were worries about the enormously high pressure in the VANOS-system were that the oil would shear down too quickly and thus failure of the VANOS would be the result. In addition much higher wear on the valve train would be the inevitable result.
How wrong can that worry be?
No visible wear on camshafts and valve train, VANOS working perfectly and very quiet even after cold start up. Valve clearances have to be adjusted for the first time in more than 90,000 kms.
So – lesson learnt from practical experience:
Oil flow and protection by a good quality engine oil are much more important than “steady oil pressure” at the highest possible numbers.
As for using the suggested super thick 10W60 – Myth busted! It is not needed.
Best wishes
Markus
Appreciate 0