04-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Did you use power-tools? Did you do the alignment yourself?

I bought a set of GC coil-overs used. Prior to the installation I knew there's potential for trouble, it had appeared to me that while the prior coil-over installation was correct (in fact I knew the mechanic who installed it), the subsequent alignment, since the shop that did the original install did not have alignment rack, the guys doing the alignment had over-torqued the nut(s). So of course when I went to install the used GC kit on my car, the weld on the stud broke off. I sort of had an inkling that this was going to happen, because when I received the used kit it had appeared that one of the studs had some damaged threads.

When I get the new plates in and installed, I'm going to have to leave a note with the alignment shop to make sure they PROPERLY TORQUE the strut nuts and do not use power/air tools. Sometimes inexperienced shops will use a power tool or an air tool and even an air ratchet can deliver enough torque to do some serious damage.

Otherwise the GC kit was by a very far and wide margin one of the easiest suspension installs I've done. Took me about 4 leisurely hours spread over 5 days at work, including about half an hour modifying the trunk trim with a Dremel to allow access to the rear shock adjustment.
Gotta love the Dremel. I'm amazed at how many odd jobs I use it for...

Good advice on power/air tools. If you're super concerned you can always hang around the shop (donuts and other goodies do wonders as well--then you're the cool guy with donuts and not the "picky guy with the BMW").
Appreciate 0