View Single Post
      08-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #61
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
I don't know what kind of temperature used with thermoforming, but I believe the 3D printed ducts would go too soft to keep it's shape 100%. Making CNC milled tools/negatives is expensive as fuck, would cost me way more money than I would ever get back. With that said, I'm not in this for the money but I guess you guys have figured that out already.
I have seen moulds used for thermoforming been miiled out of some plasticky foam kind of material I believe, so it doesnt need metal cnc milled precision moulds per se.
Maybe it also depends on what kind of plastic you want to have thermoformed and how thick the sheets are. I'm sure a thermoforming company can tell you that. I'm sure they've researched the possibility to make moulds for thermoforming by means of 3d printing.
But I think thermoforming usually is a very cheap production process, also in smaller batches (less than 50pcs). Its just not engineering wise very precise, but I think this part doesnt need to be I reckon.
If you have problems with the production volume wise or timespan wise and cost is a real issue it's I think the first alternative to at least look into.
I only dont know if your cones have protrusions at the back, for maybe clips to clip into or screws to screw into. Thats of course not possible with thermoforming (assuming we talk about the same process here; thermoforming by means of heating a sheet and vacuumsucking it over a mould), and desired sheet thickness might also be a limitation.

Carbon fiber would be awesome aestetically. But carbon manufacturing obviously is also very very time consuming and therefore very expenisve.
But making it out of carbon would sure be an eye catcher
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-09-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 1